The obvious reason for the change was arrival of my little guy. In 2011 I became a mom. But it’s so much more than just the title. It’s the new responsibilities, knowing what’s really important in life, and simply wanting to be the best me – for him.
And although I used to often ache for my old life, I love this mom thing. On the days that I’m not feeling so great and wish I could return to that old me for just one minute, I think of what I would miss if I did. So, I decided to make a list of five reasons why my life is better with Thomas:
- It’s much easier to get the most out of a day when sleeping in means you’re really getting up at 7:30am.
- Going for a walk when it’s chilly is so much more fun with a kid. Especially when you turn around and realize he’s fast asleep.
- Being able to comfort him when he’s crying makes me realize how much I’m loved and needed.
- Knowing I’ll soon have a toddler and one day a teenage boy on my hands makes me want to stay healthy.
- Because I was meant to be a mom.
I knew my life had undoubtedly changed (forever) when I uttered the following phrase: “I realize there’s snot and vomit on my shirt, but I’m not changing it cause it’s just going to get dirty again and then I’ll have more laundry.”
So yes, there’s a little guy running the house, spreading out his toys, harassing the cat, waking me up, and snotting all over me that’s forced me to change, but I loved 2011 and I’ll cherish it forever.